A good stretch feels great. It’s important for our muscles, too — to keep them limber, pliable and firing at their best. At Almond Acres Charter Academy (AACA), we embrace recreation, the use of our bodies, and exercise as vitally important to our whole selves. We also stretch our kids into their education! In this case, we do not mean helping them touch their toes. Here’s five things we do mean and believe about stretching our kids at school:
- Stretching is as important for minds as it is for muscles. For our K-8 students, we encourage stretching as it enables our kids to overcome academic obstacles, recognize areas of personal growth and pursue meaningful goals.
- By using strengths to stretch into struggling areas, we help our kids learn the things they need to learn, and to be better versions of themselves. It’s part of a simple three-tiered approach we use to think about educating children and even parenting them; affirm first, then stretch, then celebrate!
- To affirm — we ask questions like what are their strengths? And what are their struggles? We give our AACA kids a sense of confidence that they can learn — with their strengths AND with their struggles. Once we affirm this — we can stretch them. Stretching every AACA K-8 student so they learn and grow is a gift. We are honored to help them discover their whole self!
Our students are big fans of stretching, too. Here’s what an AACA middle schooler has to say,
“I think AACA has such a unique middle school environment. Not only are students taught to be considerate leaders, but students are given many opportunities to show their initiative skills. Leadership and citizenship is exceedingly highlighted. And most of all Almond Acres stretches and educates students as a whole child: heart, mind, body, and soul. Growing great kids day-after-day!”
- And after this all important stretching; we celebrate. We give our students a high five. We eat cake. We announce our celebrations in our school wide morning meeting. We celebrate the awakening of creativity and of their holistic success.
- When we affirm, stretch and celebrate — we create kids that are intelligent, confident, successful, creative, happy, and caring. They become leaders in our community.
About Almond Acres
Almond Acres is relocating to Paso Robles. Almond Acres Charter Academy is a public, tuition-free K-8 school that employs credentialed teachers and administers state-mandated testing to provide families in northern SLO County an additional choice in public education. Open to all students in all communities, the school is currently located in San Miguel and moving to Paso Robles for the 2021-22 school year. AACA’s mission is to help students succeed academically and socially by educating the whole child: heart, mind, body and soul. We grow great kids!